Uncharted territory

Up until a couple months ago I had never used an airbrush. That was scary territory but a friend helped me get past some of the basics. A few weathered cars later I decided to try and tackle a locomotive. I know, I probably took way too big of a step at once. But you …

Uncharted territory Read More »

First run of the coal loads

Finished painting the coal loads this morning. The custom loads that some cars had were a little “sparkly” and the fine cinders I used had some brown in them, so I painted every load so they matched. It is hard to spot the different loads now, all look great. While I had the loads out …

First run of the coal loads Read More »

Progress update

This weeks progress is random….very random. But I will try to put some logic behind it, so hold on. I was reading online somewhere that sent me down the car weight spiral. I had all of the weights to do it, so I started in on the OMAX train. When I weighed the cars, they …

Progress update Read More »

Lumber is arriving

One of my industries is a lumber “transloading” facility, for better terms. I don’t see it as a full service lumber yard but rather a place that unloads bulk lumber and materials and ships them out via truck to lumberyards. One track is for lumber racks, the other for box cars that will eventually unload …

Lumber is arriving Read More »

Control Panel complete

I just finished installing the ipad air in a wall mount to complete the “control panel” that will be used to control all of the turnouts.

There is such a thing as too much?

My friend and fellow n scaler Allen has been teaching me how to weather cars. Weathering ends up a lot easier than I originally feared….so like everything I do, more is better right? So off to the races to see how rusty, grimey, & graffiti covered I can make the cars. I was excited that …

There is such a thing as too much? Read More »

This week’s progress

A few things are in the works but I am waiting on parts to continue. So today’s update includes a desk expansion for the paint booth. I needed some more permanent space for it but struggled finding a good spot that had a way to vent outside. As I was building the desk space it …

This week’s progress Read More »

Operations

I played around tonight with operations. With all of the locations “set” and named, I decided to go ahead and get them configured in JMRI. It took a while defining each spur length, direction, etc. And then defining all of the locomotive and car data, again length and type etc. As you can see in …

Operations Read More »

Fascia and controls ✔️

When I said I was done with the fascia, it didn’t cross my mind I need to get all of the controls installed. Here is the finished product.

Fascia & skirting

I made quite a bit of progress today with the fascia and skirting. I had to redo some of the fascia boards to better fit N scale (not so high). And I had to complete the under side of the duck under. Once everything was screwed into place I caulked all of the corners and …

Fascia & skirting Read More »

Scroll to Top